Sunday 13 September 2020

Top 30 in 1990 Reviewed - Week 37

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1990 with my verdict on each record:

30. Partners In Kryme - Turtle Power


Given the amount of rap music you get in the charts these days, it's hard to think that it actually got off to quite a slow start commercially in the UK. It had been 11 years since the Sugarhill Gang gave us the first rap Top 40 hit, but finally we get the first rap number one. Few would have predicted the first rap number one would be about a kids TV show. Like pretty much every boy of my age, I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I liked this record for that very reason. Do I still like it though? Well it is pretty awful, but there is that novelty factor so it gets the ok.

Verdict - OK

29. Faith No More - Epic (New)


Believe it or not, Faith No More were a one hit wonder in their native America and this was their only hit there. That explains why this is perhaps the best known Faith No More song despite it being nowhere near their highest charting single. It was their debut Top 40 single at the beginning of the year reaching 37, but did better on this re-issue. Probably the first funk/rock crossover record I heard, and I like it.

Verdict - Good

28. Go West - King Of Wishful Thinking


80s group Go West amazingly had 50% of their Top 40 hits in the 90s. This was the first of the 90s ones. It was also their biggest hit in America. When it comes to cheesy music, which this is, there's a thin line between it being fun and irritating. This falls into the irritating category.

Verdict - Rubbish

27. Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You (New)


Take 3 soul singers in their 40s, put them together with a guitarist to make dance music. That was basically the formula of Londonbeat. Amongst it's singers was Jimmy Helms who had a hit in the 70s with "Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse". It wasn't the debut hit for Londonbeat, but it was their most successful and best known. I was reminded of this tune on the music channels about 15 years ago and then saw their greatest hits in the record shop on offer, and bought it.

Verdict - Good

26. Maria McKee - Show Me Heaven (New)


Confession time. At the time I thought Maria McKee and Mariah Carey were the same person, either I thought this song was by Mariah Carey or I thought Maria McKee did "Vision Of Love". Both were ballads and their names are similar(ish) and both were not well known prior to these records. I do feel I was being a bit harsh on Maria McKee though, this is nowhere near as dreary as your average Mariah Carey record. I wasn't keen on it at the time, but have got to like it more thanks to the Happy Hardcore versions a few years later. I don't like it that much though.

Verdict - OK

25. DNA ft Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner


I remember misreading the title of this record at the time as Tom's Dinner and thought fancy naming a record after somebodies dinner. The original title of this was "Oh Suzanne" as it's a remix by DNA of a Suzanne Vega record. I never knew any of this at the time, but I always thought it was a great record and I've since heard the original, and think this is better.

Verdict - Good

24. Soup Dragons ft Junior Reid - I'm Free


This song taught me the drawbacks of buying a single. I didn't buy it myself, but I knew somebody who did. We were going somewhere in his mums car and he played this single both there and back. The problem was there was just this song and the b-side on the tape so it only lasted about 7 minutes and the car journey was a lot longer than that. Needless to say I was completely sick of the song by the end of it. Fortunately 30 years have passed since then so it's given me enough time to appreciate it for what it is. It's a cover of the Rolling Stones song done in a 90s Madchester style, except Soup Dragons aren't from Manchester, they're from Scotland.

Verdict - Good

23. Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It (New)


After finally charting with "It's My Life" earlier on in the year which became their highest charting hit, Talk Talk re-released "Life's What You Make It". It didn't do as well as the original release though. I think they could have chosen a better record to re-release such as "Today", but this isn't bad.

Verdict - OK

22. Bass-O-Matic - Fascinating Rhythm (New)


Long before William Orbit became a household name, he was charting with this. It was his only Top 40 hit as Bass-O-Matic, but probably the best Top 40 he's had under any name.

Verdict - Good

21. Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers - Can Can You Party


Surely the novelty of Jive Bunny must have worn off by their 5th Top 40 hit. Seemingly it hadn't quite, but this was their last Top 10 hit.

Verdict - Rubbish

20. Roxette - Listen To Your Heart / Dangerous


In 1995 there was a Happy Hardcore tune called "Smile, Fuck Up" by DJ Psycangle which sampled the first verse of this. A year or so later I heard "Listen To Your Heart" for probably the first time since 1990 and that's when I realised it was the song "Smile, Fuck Up" sampled. Of course, this song has it's similarities to "Alone" by Heart, and the title suggests that's where they may have got their inspiration from. It doesn't matter though, both are good songs. The other side, "Dangerous" is one I never remember hearing at the time. It's not as good, but I still like it.

Verdict - Good / Good

19. Cliff Richard - Silhouettes


What a load of crap.

Verdict - Rubbish

18. Sonia - End Of The World


This had been the lowest charting hit for Sonia to date, but if you were to ask me to name a Sonia record that isn't "You'll Never Stop Me Loving You" then this would be it. She was singing about the end of the world, but it was also the end of her Stock Aitken & Waterman career. Unfortunately it wasn't the end of her Top 40 career.

Verdict - Rubbish

17. Blue Pearl - Naked In The Rain


Here we have the bass player from an 80s band making a name for himself in the dance music world. It isn't Norman Cook though, it's Youth, formerly of Killing Joke. This reminds me of a school trip I went on to the Science Museum around this time. Not sure why, maybe it came on the radio on the bus. Anyway, good tune.

Verdict - Good

16. INXS - Suicide Blonde (New)


You know when you start the new year at school in September and you move to different classrooms, or in my case a different building, and you associate other things in your life with that change. Well this song is one of those things I associate with this. I loved INXS at the time and loved this song.

Verdict - Good

15. Janet Jackson - Black Cat (New)


The singles from "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814" keep on coming. This is single number 6, and it isn't the last either. It is however the first of them not to be written by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. This was written by Janet Jackson and produced by Jellybean. Proof that the writer/producer is often more important than the artist as this is crap.

Verdict - Rubbish

14. Caron Wheeler - Livin' In The Light


After singing for Soul ii Soul, here is Caron Wheeler beginning her solo career. I've not heard this for a long time, but remember it sounding like Soul ii Soul. It doesn't really though, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for Soul ii Soul to make a record like this, but has a bit more funk to it than your average Soul ii Soul record. I quite like it.

Verdict - Good

13. Loose Ends - Don't Be A Fool


We are nearing the end of Loose Ends career here. The only original member that remained was Carl McIntosh and this was the first single on what turned out to be their final album "Look How Long". It's said the other members left because Carl McIntosh wanted to experiment. I would say basically he was adapting the sound to be more similar to what plenty of other music acts were doing around this time, which is no bad thing.

Verdict - Good

12. George Michael - Praying For Time


George Michael has always been one of those artists I've never got what all the fuss was about. At the same time though, I can't really fault his music, he's actually had records I quite like. I don't like this one enough to consider it good, but it's alright though.

Verdict - OK

11. The Farm - Groovy Train


Ever wondered what Suggs did between Madness and his solo career, well here's your answer. This was produced by Suggs along with Terry Farley. The Farm are probably best remembered for being the Madchester band from Liverpool. This was their debut Top 40 hit and was also on the first episode of "The Word". The early 90s have truly arrived now.

Verdict - Good

10. Jason Donovan - Rhythm Of The Rain


After his previous single "Another Night" failed to reach the Top 10, Jason Donovan managed to return to the Top 10 with this cover of the Cascades song. Quite predictably, it's a pretty poor cover.

Verdict - Rubbish

9. Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love


I've mentioned previously how dreadful I found the female solo pop singers from America during this era, but fortunately the likes of Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and Taylor Dayne were more or less yesterdays news by this point. Unfortunately America gave us another dreadful artist in Mariah Carey. Ok I'm not going to knock her singing ability, but her music is just abysmal.

Verdict - Rubbish

8. New Kids On The Block - Tonight


I thought I was mishearing the lyrics at the time. I was hearing "Hangin Tough" and "The Right Stuff" but I've never been good at making out lyrics so thought I was only hearing those words because of their other hits. Turns out I wasn't mishearing, they are quoting the titles of their other songs. It's the sort of thing you might expect when a group has been around a long time, but it had only been 9 months since they first hit the Top 40. In reality though they formed in 1984 and were now on their 4th album. I don't actually mind this record though.

Verdict - OK

7. Adamski - The Space Jungle


1990 had been a good year for Adamski so far. First came "N-R-G", then the number one "Killer". Then he follows it up with this, which is essentially a cover of "All Shook Up" by Elvis Presley. A different, far better version of this appears on his best of album, but this radio version is crap.

Verdict - Rubbish

6. Betty Boo - Where Are You Baby?


Not only did Betty Boo manage a 2nd solo single, but the 2nd single also did better than the 1st. I'm not sure how well remembered this is, but I certainly remember it. I also remember it being bloody awful, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Verdict - Rubbish

5. KLF ft The Children Of The Revolution - What Time Is Love?


The first Top 40 hit for The KLF on paper, though they previously had a number one with "Doctorin the Tardis" as The Timelords. I absolutely loved The KLF at the time, still do. In fact when I first came across the fact music video's were uploaded to YouTube, The KLF were one of the first that I looked up.

Verdict - Good

4. Deacon Blue - Four Bacharach And David Songs (EP)


What I find somewhat baffling is that Deacon Blue were a band I particularly liked and this was their highest charting single, but it completely passed me by. The lead song from the EP is "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and I had this on a compilation several years later.

Verdict - Good

3. Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini


The summer holidays had arrived, and that meant Wacaday would be on. This summer though we had a double dose of Timmy Mallett courtesy of this song. Bizarrely I always thought he seemed more serious in this song than he did on Wacaday. Anyway, as much as I liked Wacaday and Timmy Mallett, there's no denying this song is bloody awful.

Verdict - Rubbish

2. Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart / What Is Love


The best known of this double a-side is of course "Groove Is In The Heart" which I've probably heard everyday since 1990, or at least that's how it feels. Despite it being played to death though and me being pretty sick of it by now, I still regard it as a good tune. The other side, "What Is Love", is one I never heard until one day I wondered how the other side of "Groove Is In The Heart" sounds like and found out. Perhaps because I've only ever listened to it of my own accord, I actually prefer this tune.

Verdict - Good / Good

1. The Steve Miller Band - The Joker


This was never a Top 40 hit back in 1973 when it was an American number one. Thanks to it's appearance in a Levi's advert it became a UK number one in 1990. This is best remembered for its wolf whistle on the guitar, but on a personal level I remember annoying my teacher by singing it in class at school.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 17.5/30, or 58%. Getting back towards a typical 1990 score.

No comments:

Post a Comment