Sunday 31 May 2020

25 Years Since....May 1995

Time once again to go back 25 years and take a look at some of the records I was enjoying:

Perez 'Prez' Prado And His Orchestra - Guaglione


We begin by a record that was originally recorded in 1958, but charted in 1995 thanks to it's inclusion on the Guinness advert.

I had no idea this was an old record at the time. The video obviously looks old, but I just assumed it was done in an old style.

Perez Prado died 6 years prior to this and scored his first hit since 1958.


Weezer - Buddy Holly


A few months prior to this record coming out, I was in a band. I was guitarist and vocalist, but the other guitarist wanted me to do more singing than guitaring and wrote a number of songs with just 1 guitar part that I simply sang on. I was unhappy about this as I was first and foremost a guitarist. Then one day he decided he would be lead guitarist and vocalist and I'd be rhythm guitarist. This made me quit the band, I had no objection to being a rhythm guitarist if I was vocalist, but if I was simply a guitarist then I wanted to be lead.

Weezer it seemed had a similar arrangement it seems. Just seconds into the song, singer Rivers Cuomo does a bit on the guitar that says "I'm the lead guitarist". I wondered whether rhythm guitarist Brian Bell was happy with that arrangement. What I've since discovered is that Brian Bell never played guitar on it at all, Rivers Cuomo had recorded both guitar parts on their debut album before Brian Bell joined the band.

The song of course is best remembered for the Happy Days video. The band have made a few videos that have been a bit different to your average music video, but this is surely the best remembered one.


Mark'Oh - Tears Don't Lie


This was the first Happy Hardcore record to make the Top 40. We were still in the early days of me being a raver so I was still learning and I thought a lot of the music was German, but that wasn't the case at all. The fact Mark'Oh is German may have been a factor.

Not much Happy Hardcore did get into the Top 40, but the majority that did was German. This was the only Top 40 hit for Mark'Oh, but he had quite a few hits in Germany and this was a number one there.

I don't ever recall this being on any tape packs, nor do I recall seeing Mark'Oh on any flyers. Perhaps that isn't surprising, I don't think the British DJs liked seeing the success the DJs in Germany and Holland were having whilst they would make a pittance doing the same thing.


Scatman John - Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)


I think there were many of us that couldn't help but like this record. Bizarre is probably the best word to describe it, a Eurodance record with a 50 something bloke rapping/making bizarre noises and telling us he's the scatman.

As a rule, I'm not a fan of anthem bashing. I find it very boring hearing the same records every time you go into a 90s bar for example, but I make an exception for this record, it's always a pleasure to hear.

Green Day - When I Come Around

This is one of my favourite Green Day songs, which is quite bizarre given it's one of the slower ones. It's got a good bassline in it which helps, and I quite like the simplistic guitar solo as well.

The one thing I always remember from the video is Billie-Joe taking the phone off the hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment