Tuesday 31 March 2020

25 Years Since....March 1995

March 2020 may be a shit time for most people, but March 1995 was a lot better, as was the music:

Bucketheads - The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind)


This one has quite a memorable video, though one thing that I always remember from it that perhaps nobody else does is the man in the video looking at the new releases section in the record shop.

Later on in 1995 came Dreamscape 20 which had a house arena and this record appears on one of the house tapes, so that is what I most associate this tune with.

The Bucketheads was a project of Kenny Dope, one half of Masters At Work who are basically legends, and I don't use that term lightly.


Sophie B Hawkins - As I Lay Me Down


The final Top 40 hit for Sophie B Hawkins, and the best one in my opinion.

As a grunger I was anti pop music and as a raver I was also anti pop music. But during my transition from grunger to raver I was starting to appreciate pop music too and this was one of those records I particularly liked.


Faith No More - Digging the Grave


Is this really that long haired hippy geezer that was rapping on "Epic" 5 years earlier? Yes it was.

I was aware that Faith No More no longer had it's original singer but didn't realise that came before anyone had heard of them.

I've posted the Top of the Pops clip because the vocals are live and the contrast between the live vocals and pre recorded instruments really make this record for me.


The Prodigy - Poison


I was saying the words "I Got the poison, I got the remedy" a lot at the time.

In my music lessons at school we would gather around at the end of the lesson and listen to a song from someone's music collection. This was my contribution from my "Music For the Jilted Generation" tape. It was the first song on the second side. The problem was it began with a telephone call which ends with Liam Howlett saying "Fucks sake, I'm trying to write this fuckin tune". I wanted to skip that bit for obvious reasons so wound the tape to the point I thought we'd avoid it. Unfortunately I didn't wind it quite long enough, it started at the point where he said "Fucks..". I did tell the teacher there would be no more swearing, which there wasn't, and fortunately he allowed me to play it.

East 17 - Let It Rain

It's pretty much a give that when an East 17 song is in the Top 40 it will feature. This was their follow up to "Stay Another Day" which follows the old formula of Tony rapping and Brian singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment