Saturday 29 February 2020

25 Years Since....February 1995

We're already at the end of February, time to look back at the tunes I was enjoying in February 1995:

Perfecto Allstarz - Reach Up (Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag)


I question I would often ask myself at this point in time was whether a tune was rave or not. I thought this may pass the rave criteria, though if the definition of rave is Happy Hardcore or Drum & Bass then this is neither.

If you widen the horizon to dance music in general though, this definitely fits the criteria. The man behind the record is Paul Oakenfold, one of the 4 DJs who went to Ibiza in 1988 and invented rave apparently.

Regardless of the question of whether this is rave or whether Paul Oakenfold invented rave, it's a great tune.


Green Day - Basket Case


Despite my new found love for rave music, I wasn't ready to let rock music go just yet. Ok the purists will say rock and punk are different, so lets just say guitar music instead. By the way I learned how to play this on the guitar pretty quickly.

This record isn't about the guitar though, it's about the drums. I didn't notice so much at the time, but in later years I realised just how good the drumming was.


The Offspring - Self Esteem


There were a few Offspring tunes going around at the time, but this was the only one that made the Top 40.

Years later when they had their big hit with "Pretty Fly For A White Guy", not only was I disappointed by the fact it was shit, I was also disappointed by the fact lead singer Dextor Holland no longer had his dreads.


Alex Party - Don't Give Me Your Life


This was basically everything I hated about music a few months prior, but then I realised if you make a commercial dance record right, it's pretty damn good.

Moby - Every Time You Touch Me

Now we're talking. There were happy hardcore versions of this around the time, this is a bit slower but still quick enough to get my approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment