Sunday 30 June 2019

25 Years Since....June 1994

Time again to look at the records I was enjoying at the time:

Ace of Base - Don't Turn Around


I used to love the Aswad version of this when it reached number one in 1988. I didn't think this version was as good, but I still liked it.

I think the Ace of Base factor helped here, whilst they weren't anything like the sort of music I'd typically listen to at the time, nor were they a band I'd admit to liking, in my mind they had 2 brilliant singles to date in "All That She Wants" and "The Sign" ("Wheel of Fortune" passed me by) and this was bringing a song I liked in the 80s into the 90s.


Blur - To the End


Given how big Blur were by now, I'm surprised this only managed to get to number 16 in the charts. That said, the "Parklife" album was now out so I guess people were buying that instead of the single.

Singles wise I'd say this is the best one from the album.


Eddi Reader - Patience Of Angels


It's all about the intro with this one, quite frankly you could put any old rubbish after the intro and I'd still probably like it.

It took a while for me to realise that this was sung by the same person singing on "Perfect" by Fairground Attraction. I think I'd been vaguely aware that Fairground Attractions singer was Eddi Reader and vaguely aware this song was by Eddi Reader but I guess I didn't give it enough thought to make the connection.

What does surprise me though was this only made number 33 in the charts.


Therapy? - Die Laughing


This was the final single from the "Troublegum" album and one I'm more likely to refer to as "I Think I've Gone Insane" rather than it's actual title.

It's also a song I've sung many times when waking up for work in the morning, specifically the bit that goes "I would kill for a good nights sleep, I'm feeling I'm feeling dead".

M-Beat - Incredible

Much like with N-Trance last month, there's the question of whether I first heard when it first charted in June 1994, or when it re-entered the charts later on in the year or somewhere in between.

This was the first Jungle record to make the Top 40 and it was my introduction to what Jungle was.

No comments:

Post a Comment