Tuesday 30 April 2019

25 Years Since....April 1994

Once again it's time to go back 25 years to 1994 and look at the records I was enjoying at the time:

Little Angels - Ten Miles High


I always liked it when I encountered a guitar band nobody had spoken about before and then introduced them to people in the hope they'd like it.

This was one of those bands, some had heard of Little Angels and some hadn't. Likewise some thought they were good and some didn't, one criticism someone had was that having a piano player in the band was so 80s.

Of course this wasn't the first time Little Angels had charted. They scored their first Top 40 hit in 1990 and had a hit every year up to 1994, but no Top 10s. This was in fact their final Top 40 hit and they split up just a couple of months later.

Bitty McLean - Dedicated To The One I Love


I remember the first time I heard this. I was watching Top of the Pops and could see the next act had a guitarist on the stage and was looking forward to some Rock music.

Obviously this turned out not to be Rock, but instead Bitty Mclean was back with his cover of a Mamas and the Papas song.

However I liked the way it just goes straight into song with no messing around with any intros. Also as you may have seen from previous posts I always secretly liked a bit of Bitty Mclean at the time.

Pet Shop Boys - Liberation


I first became aware of this song when I heard someone singing it quite often. When questioning what he was singing he told me it was the Pet Shop Boys.

He was also the first person I heard openly admit he liked the Pet Shop Boys. However I wasn't ready to admit that myself, particularly as this person was a Raver so therefore the enemy at the time.

I then heard the actual song and thought yes Pet Shop Boys have made yet another great tune.


Erasure - Always


Another group I wouldn't admit to liking at the time. I don't recall anyone else admitting to liking Erasure either, though I do remember a couple of younger girls enthusiastically singing along to this on the school bus at the time.

To be honest that put me off more than anything, I didn't want to like music that appealed to young girls. But it's a great tune, the way the chorus comes in and the way it sounds like the backing music is trying to catch up with the vocals is just fantastic.

Terrorvision - Oblivion

After seeing this on The Chart Show, I thought Terrorvision were another band I could bring to the table.

However someone at school had already heard other songs of theirs and also knew that they had an album coming out called "How to Make Friends and Influence People" which he went on to buy.

I remember around this time I was buying "Mega Metal" magazine which was owned by "Kerrang". You would have profiles of a number of bands in each issue including where they came from. Pretty much all the Rock and Metal bands we were all listening to were American and I assumed Terrorvision also where. However when their profile appeared I discovered they were in fact from Bradford.

No comments:

Post a Comment