Sunday 31 March 2019

25 Years Since....March 1994

Last night we turned the clocks forward, but today lets turn the clocks backwards to 25 years ago to see what music I was enjoying:

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm


We begin with a song I already had only a copied tape of the "Siamese Dream" album by the Smashing Pumpkins. They were one of those bands popular amongst Grungers without actually being Grunge themselves.

One thing I do recall happening at the time was that the heavier bands were now starting to fall out of favour amongst the Grunge crowd and more alternative music like this was starting to take it's place.

Personally I was still into the heavy stuff but I was liking music like this too.

Therapy? - Trigger Inside


Therapy? were a band who were popular amongst a handful of people I knew prior to 1994, but when this tune came out a lot more people were into them.

What may have helped was their "Troublegum" album had finally been released and was doing the rounds on people Walkman's at school.

I didn't own the album right away, but a few months later I was round a friends house and we were talking about music and Therapy? came into conversation. He told me he had the album but didn't like it so he gave me it for free. A few years later I lent the tape to somebody who I lost contact with shortly after, so never got it back.

Blur - Girls And Boys


Next up is a song that made me realise that the band who did "Sunday Sunday" were called Blur not Blair.

This was the song that increased the popularity of Blur no end and was perhaps the beginning of several peoples transition from Grunge to Brit Pop.

Regular readers of this blog will know that Oasis will never appear in this series of posts given how much I hate their music, but for the record their chart debut came a month later and so the rivalry begins.


Bon Jovi - Dry County


I'm getting a bit confused with the timings of everything now. I thought I hated Bon Jovi by 1994 but I remember this appearing on The Chart Show and me cheering, so the time hadn't come yet.

This was their last single from the "Keep the Faith" album and I know that by the time they released "Always" later on in the year I date hate them even though that particular song is probably my favourite Bon Jovi song now.

Soul Asylum - Somebody To Shove

Another Soul Asylum song I didn't realise was Soul Asylum at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment