Monday 31 December 2018

25 Years Since....December 1993

Here's one final visit back to 1993 to look at some of the records I was enjoying at the time:

U2 - Stay (Faraway, So Close)


U2 were a band who appeared in several peoples Top 10 bands at the time, just about. That's despite the fact it had been a year since their last single which was before the Rock/Metal fans became particular about what they listened to.

This song however divided opinion, some liked it, some considered it too soft for a Rock/Metal fan to like. The ironic thing was that their last Top 10 hit prior to this was the Paul Oakenfold remix of "Even Better Than the Real Thing" which was one for the Ravers as opposed to the Rock/Metal fan.

As far as U2 songs go, this is one of the better ones in my opinion.

East 17 - It's Alright


This was the fifth and final hit from their debut album "Walthamstow". It's possibly my favourite single from that album as well.

What I like best about this tune is the way it starts out as a ballad before the Dance beats kick in. I remember this being one of the Pop songs I'd complain about at the school disco whilst secretly liking it.

It was their biggest hit at that point in time eventually climbing to number 3, but reached it after Take That and Mr Blobby were battling it out for Christmas number one and were sliding down the charts. We all know what happened the following Christmas though.

Pet Shop Boys - I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing


Another song that I pretended not to like at the time to maintain my Grunger status.

It's the Pet Shop Boys though and much like East 17 I never stopped liking their music throughout whatever music phase I was going through.


Cypress Hill - I Ain't Goin Out Like That


Cypress Hill on the other hand were pretty much the only Rap act that seemed acceptable for the Rock/Metal fans to like at the time.

This was their third UK Top 40 hit and followed the same formula as the previous two, B Real says something similar to the track title in the chorus and Sen Dog would say something similar back, then repeat.

Needless to say that when the following single "Lick A Shot" came out it didn't go the way I expected it to go.

Blind Melon - No Rain

This was the debut UK Top 40 hit for Blind Melon. Lead singer Shannon Hoon had been in the charts before though as backing vocalist on "Don't Cry" by Guns n Roses.

It was perhaps a little softer than I expected it to be, but it didn't really matter especially given the Guns n Roses connection.

Although they would have two more hits, this is the only one I remember at the time. I found out several years after this that Shannon Hoon died less than 2 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment