Saturday 3 February 2018

25 Years Since....January 1993

I'm not going to lie, 1993 was no 1992 but there was still plenty of music in the charts I was enjoying:

USURA - Open Your Mind


We begin with a dance record that sampled Simple Minds. This is a record that reminds me of school discos.

Around the same time the Utah Saints sampled the same record on one of there album tracks and sounds very similar to this, although I'm not sure who did it first.

USURA would have another hit in 1993 called "Sweat" and then this record go the remix treatment in 1997.

Faith No More - Easy


I already knew the original by the Commodores and thought this was a big improvement on it, possibly because the guitar work stood out more.

Faith No More were one of my favourite bands at the time, not sure where I ranked them exactly but certainly in my Top 10.

Duran Duran - Ordinary World


I'm too young to remember Duran Duran when they were hugely popular but I do always remember them being around, although none of their music had much of an impact on me until this.

It doesn't really sound like your typical Duran Duran record, possibly because of the change in personel as it was the era when Warren Cuccurullo was their guitarist.

My first realisation of how much I liked this song came when I was having a dream about Music School and we were told to sing this in the choir, sadly that never happened in real life.

East 17 - Deep


It still wasn't apparent that East 17 were the boy band to rival Take That and the time and therefore I had no shame in admitting I liked this song.

I never paid attention to the lyrical content of it at the time but I could certainly imagine parents banning their kids from listening to it if they listening to the words.

Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses


Bon Jovi were my third favourite band at the time after Guns n Roses and INXS. I remember at the time in the music corner at Asda they kept showing a video of Bon Jovi in concert and I'd always go and watch it while my mum did the shopping and this song stands out from that.

For some reason I remember some people incorrectly thinking this was a Guns n Roses song even though it sounds nothing like them.

Bon Jovi would go on to become my second favourite band later in the year before I started to hate them because their music was too soft and this song was perhaps the biggest culprit for that, but nowadays I'd say this is one of my favourite Bon Jovi songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment