Sunday 31 December 2017

25 Years Since....December 1992

It's new years eve and I'm reminiscing on how great music was 25 years ago, here is what I was enjoying in December 1992:

Freddie Mercury - In My Defence


Although I was very much enjoying this record, at the same time I was starting to feel quite regretful on spending the past year being a big Queen fan when there was much better music out there, such as my new favourite band Guns n Roses.

People still did understandably associate me with Queen and I do recall whenever this came on the radio they would point it out to me and I would point out that I'm no longer a Queen fan, I'm a Guns n Roses fan.

In hindsight though I should have pointed out that this was a Freddie Mercury record, not a Queen one. However this is probably the most Queen sounding Freddie Mercury song that I've heard and I'd say it's easily his best one.

Stereo MC's - Step It Up



This was a record I always found quite odd but liked it at the same time. I guess it's because the backing track sounds like it's made for someone with a soulful voice, but the actual singer isn't really singing properly.

I always found the band image quite baffling too. To me it sounds like the sort of music to be suited and booted for, but the singer looks like someone from a caravan park. I guess the singing style made that fact less of a surprise.

Years later this record or the Stereo MC's in general seemed to me a perfect representation of the early 90s and I bought the album some point in the 00s. I do remember it being advertised a lot on the TV at the time, to be honest though the singles are far better than the rest of the album tracks in my opinion.

The Shamen - Phorever People


After loving "Ebeneezer Goode" back in the summer, I found the Shamen's follow up "Boss Drum" to be pretty average but I thought this next hit was possibly even better than "Ebeneezer Goode".

I heard this before I knew what it was called and therefore I misheard the lyrics to the chorus as being "we are the burger people". Admittedly I'm probably the only person in the world to ever think that.

On reading the title I still didn't really know the words due to the misspelling of "forever" but once I figured this out I realised the error of my ways.

Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson


I knew the original of this record at the time and it's one that I've honestly never liked. But I loved this more modern take on it, to me it seemed an almost perfect record to give the middle finger to the older generation. Bear in mind that at the time I was regretting being a fan of an old band like Queen and was only interested in the music of now.

Like the Stereo MC's, this is also a record I see as a perfect representation of the early 90s, maybe it's because it's a time when I was very much living in the moment music wise. Ironically, this record is now older that the record it covered was at the time.

REM - Man on the Moon


This takes me back to the last day of term before Christmas at school. It was a day with no lessons, more a day of fun and games. We were aloud to bring in our own tapes and play them in the classroom. I remember someone asking me whether I'd brought any Queen tapes with me, I said no, he said good.

Unfortunately for me I hadn't finished my homework which was due in that day, so I had to sit at the desk outside the classroom to finish it off. Obviously several songs were played in the classroom whilst I was doing my homework, but this one stands out as one which was playing and I remember hearing my classmates singing along to it and was jealous of them in there enjoying the music whilst I was doing homework.

I did eventually join in with the fun once I'd finished my homework but still this is the only song I specifically remember being played that day, I guess it was 25 years ago after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment