Monday 11 September 2017

Record of the Year: Ten City - That's the Way Love Is



If I was writing this post back in 1989 then my record of the year would have quite possibly been "Ride On Time" by Black Box, I absolutely loved that record at the time. However, I've gone for a record which probably didn't stand a chance at the time.


Around a decade or so ago I was in Virgin Megastore and saw an Old Skool Rave compilation with quite a typical tracklist across 3 CDs. I thought I may as well own at least one of the compilations and this particular one was on offer so I bought it. At the same time I bought "Hits & Mixes" by Black Box also on offer.


At the time I was finding very little in the way of new dance music I liked and buying these CDs was my way of saying it was much better back in the day. However, a few listens to Black Box actually made me realise that music could be just as cheesy back then with the likes of "Strike It Up" and "I Don't Know Anybody Else" making me cringe despite my young self loving them.


The rave compilation had some tunes I forgot how good they were and this was one of them. Ten City had one more Top 40 hit with "Devotion" but had several non charting records into the 90s.


Singer Byron Stingily returned as a solo act in the late 90s and did an updated version of this, but nothing beats the original. He has since become a school headmaster, quite a change in career. Still he's in a good position to teach the kids about house music being much better back in the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment