Friday 30 June 2017

25 Years Since....June 1992

End of the month, time to celebrate June 1992:

Utah Saints - Something Good

The first time I heard this was on Top of the Pops. At the start where they shout "Utah Saints" I thought wasn't the group name Utah Saints not the song. It became clear when the Kate Bush sampled vocals came in which confirmed I was right, the tune was called "Something Good" and it was by Utah Saints.

Later on in life I saw the album in the sale at Virgin Megastore and bought it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Incognito - Don't You Worry Bout A thing

Another tune that reminds me of my holiday in Cornwall in 1992 (see my May feature for the other).

Seeing the video, I thought that may have actually been recorded in Newquay given the sunshine and how touristy it was. Moving to London later on in life taught me that the video was actually in Camden. You may notice that towards the end of the video they haven't got much further from the tube station in the background than they had early on in the video, but having been along that road many times I can confirm it really does take that long to get along that road.

The man playing the tambourine at the start of the video who looks a bit out of place, and rides a bike later on is actually the one man who is Incognito, also known as Bluey. Still going today, they have had many many albums and I saw them a couple of years back celebrating their 35th anniversary, was a good gig.

Londonbeat - You Bring On The Sun

Back in 1992 my sister was singing this, for some reason whilst she was singing this I asked her whether she liked "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi, she replied no because it's by men. I had to point out to her that this was by men too.

The high pitched singer is Jimmy Helms who had a hit in the 70s with "Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse", something I didn't know until I bought the best of Londonbeat later on in life.


Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness

Back in 1992 it was a bit of a rarity to see a shouty singer with short hair, but on seeing James Dean Bradfield before he started singing I still sensed he was going to be shouty.

To be honest, I forgot who this was by or what it was called pretty much instantly. The Manic Street Preachers became the band every man and his dog had heard of when band member Richie Edwards disappeared. They do have some good post Richie Edwards tunes and some very dreary Stereophonics type rubbish, but somewhere along the way I discovered this tune was by them and I remembered how much I liked it.


Messiah - Temple Of Dreams

It was that perfect combination of a dreamy sound with hardcore beats. Ok the beats may not sound so hardcore now, but back in 1992 they really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment