Tuesday 28 February 2017

25 Years Since....February 1992

After my post a month ago of records in the charts I was enjoying 25 years ago, the Voice of the Beehive video managed to get more views this month than the 10 months prior. More to the point though, it reminded me what a vintage year 1992 was for music, so I've decided to make this a monthly feature this year. So here are a few tunes I was enjoying this time 25 years ago:

The Temptations - My Girl

So you're probably thinking wait a minute, even in 1992 this was surely more than 25 years old. You're right, it was. However when this was first released in the UK in 1965 it failed to reach the top 40. It wasn't until 1992 when a film of the same name came out that this finally got a taste of the top 40 reaching number 2 and giving The Temptations their biggest UK hit.

Sadly 2 of the 5 members on this record had passed away by the time this happened and another member died just months later.

Several years later I would buy one of their greatest hits albums and I've now seen them in concert 4 times, but this is where it all began.

Shanice - I Love Your Smile

I just had to include this one, not too many tunes get me into the 90s spirit better than this one. Like "My Girl" this was also a number two, but it was also a Motown record.

It would be the only UK top 40 hit for Shanice, though she would have another UK singles that missed out on the top 40 including "Saving Forever For You" which I actually prefer to this record. However, I never heard it until several years later, so this is the one that gets onto the list.

DJ Seduction - Hardcore Heaven

This is one of those record I don't think I knew what it was at the time but I liked it. I'd certainly forgot what it was not too long after.

When I became a raver in the mid 90s I bought a DJ Seduction tape. The first track on it was a remix of this which I recognised. On discovering what it was, I looked in my British Hit Singles book which confirmed this was a top 40 hit in 1992.

Instead of being glad of being reminded of a tune I liked but since forgot about, I was actually annoyed the Seduction had ever had a top 40 hit as I liked to think of the music I listened to as being underground.


Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out

Got to love the scratching on this record. My young self found this record very bizarre, I was yet to know about the concept of rave music. It was something my parents thought was dreadful which was a bonus.

I would buy this on vinyl several years later. One time whilst a student, me and my housemates invited a few people back for a few drinks and I got behind the decks. When mixing this tune in I pretended it was actually me scratching the intro, whether they fell for it or not I don't know, more likely they didn't even notice.

Inspiral Carpets - Dragging Me Down

Even though they sound quite different, I used to get the Inspiral Carpets and the Wedding Present mixed up, I think because of the quite bizarre band names they had.

By 1992 though it became more clear, the Wedding Present were the band who had a new record out each month and the Inspiral Carpets were the band who didn't. More importantly though, the Inspiral Carpets were the band that did "Dragging Me Down", with a catchy sing a long chorus.

It made quite an impact on my little sister too, she would always sing a long to this when it came on. When I reminded her several years later though she had no recollection of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment