Sunday 4 September 2016

3rd Wish - I Am


So I've blogged a fair bit so far about the singles chart, but it would be fair to say my contribution to the charts (i.e. the number of singles I've bought) is quite minimal.

I've never bought a download and own considerably more albums on CD than I do singles. As a rule, I would buy singles if I didn't think an album would follow, I like the tune but don't like the artist enough to buy their album, it cost me pennies to buy second hand, because of the CD Rom video (remember them?) or it was by Alisha's Attic/ The Honeyz when I was a big fan.

So it got me thinking, maybe I could do a series of posts about my CD singles which contributed towards the outcome of the charts. So this will exclude the cheap second hand ones.

I'm beginning with the last CD single I bought, 3rd Wish - I Am.

I first came across 3rd Wish towards the end of 2004 when I saw "Obsession" on the music channels which featured rapper Baby Bash. I'd always watch the video when it was on without really knowing what it was, but I liked it. A few months later I heard the same record by Frankie J which also featured Baby Bash. I had already heard of Frankie J so was easy for me to remember who this was, but had forgotten who had done the other version by this point.

Then whilst watching the music channels in the summer of 2005 "I Am" appears, I now know who did the first version I heard of "Obsession". I wondered which one was the original, turns out neither of them were, the original was by a group called Aventura.

Back to "I Am" though, I liked this song just as much and it appeared plenty of times on the music channels. Then one day I go to HMV and see it under the new releases and find that "Obsession" is also on the CD. Not really knowing anything about 3rd Wish and conscious of the fact they will soon disappear from the music channels, it seemed a no brainer to buy it.

As it turned out, that was the last I heard of 3rd Wish. Some internet research has shown that they had a decent following in Germany but not much elsewhere.

Its probably no coincidence that the last time I bought a CD single was the same year YouTube was invented, so knowing that once a tune has its day on a music channel it will still be there on YouTube making paying for a CD single somewhat pointless.

As for this records chart performance, well it actually failed to even reach the top 100. So that rules it out of being my record of the year for 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment