Tuesday 2 August 2016

Bryan Adams Record Still Intact

Bryan Adams famously sang about the summer of 69, but for me and many others he'll be mainly remembered for the summer of 91 when he spent what is still a record 16 consecutive weeks at number one. Those following the charts will know that record was under threat but the number one in question only made it to 15 weeks.

I remember exactly where I was when "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" became number one. I was at a family barbecue and we had the top 40 countdown playing until Bros entered the charts with their comeback single "Are You Mine?" and my uncle decided enough is enough and turned the radio off. Therefore I had to wait until the next day to read what got to number one in the local paper, no internet in those days of course.

For those who don't know, this song was on the soundtrack to the "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" film and I suspect that sales of toy bow and arrows were selling just as well at the time. For most of the summer holidays this record was also keeping "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred off the top as well.

In September, Bryan Adams released his follow up, "Can't Stop This Thing We Started" but this didn't seem to make any difference, by the time this fell out the chart "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" was still at number one.

It was finally knocked off the top spot in November by U2 with "The Fly". What helped this reach number one was that it was a limited edition which was only available to buy for 3 weeks. However, even if U2 hadn't done this it would still have been knocked off the top as Vic Reeves and the Wonder Stuff were at number two that week with "Dizzy" which would become number one the following week

No comments:

Post a Comment