Sunday 28 February 2016

Record of the Year 1955: Crew Cuts - Earth Angel


Originally I decided that as a rule when picking my record of the year, I would not pick the same artist twice. However, there isn't another record I know from 1955 that's anywhere near as good as "Earth Angel" and at the same time, I can't think of a record anywhere near as good as "Sh Boom" in 1954.

I first heard "Earth Angel" when I watched the Temptations movie. It was early on in the film when it was covering Otis Williams and a singing group in his school days, who were singing it a cappella in the street.

The original was by the Penguins, but this was the only version which charted in the UK. It reached number 4 and remained in the charts for 20 weeks.

So both of the Crew Cuts hit singles make my record of the year. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment