Monday 30 September 2024

25 Years Since....September 1999

Wow 25 years since the last year of the 20th century, these were the tunes I was enjoying then:

Shaft - (Mucho Mambo) Sway


This was the opening track to Kiss Ibiza 1999 reminds me of getting into my car and putting it on the stereo and set off driving. As I would typically start driving from certain places it therefore reminds me of certain streets I would drive down on my way from said place.

Moloko - Sing It Back

As someone who is no spring chicken I've been asked several times about how I feel about getting older. The way I see it is given the choice between being a student in 1999 vs a student now it's a no brainer.

When this record came out I was full of optimism, convinced the best days were ahead of me. Now I feel sorry for those not old enough to have been around for records like this the first time around.

DJ Jean - The Launch

It's a pretty basic concept really, come up with a riff, do it trance style and repeat. Except there's a few twists and turns, you know what's coming but the route there isn't so obvious on first hearing. 

Agnelli And Nelson - Everyday



When Club@Vision did their Ibiza special in 1999 they played an Ibiza anthem from each year since 1989. To this day each years tune would still be considered an anthem except from this record that represented 1999.

The moral of the story is that this was very much an Ibiza anthem in 1999 but the history books distort the story. Therefore the Ibiza anthems of the earlier years may not have been at the time as other records that were quickly forgotten.


Paul Johnson - Get Get Down

For some reason this record reminds me that Slipmatt, the godfather of hardcore was leaving hardcore behind to do house music. I don't think I've ever heard Slipmatt play this in a set, not to say that he hasn't. As a result I expected Paul Johnson to look a bit like Slipmatt, but he couldn't look any more different.

No comments:

Post a Comment