Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Unpopular Opinion: Oasis

I'll begin with what the popular opinion is regarding Oasis. People say their first 2 albums were outstanding, as were the non-album songs from this period. They say the 3rd album was a let down and the albums that followed weren't a patch on their early work.

This seems evident from the setlist from their comeback tour which has just 1 song that was made after 1997. Their original run lasted until 2009 but how many people remember their final singles? I certainly don't.

We're all in agreement about album 3 and beyond then but my unpopular opinion is that I don't think much of their first 2 albums either. I say this as someone who knows most tracks on both albums despite never owning either such was their popularity at the time.

Part of me wishes I did like their music. I'm always interested in hearing what Noel Gallagher has to say and I often find myself nodding and agreeing with him. 

In particular I find Noel Gallagher refreshingly honest about the state of modern music. For example at a time when Adele was somehow selling a ridiculous number of albums he called it granny music, which it is. It's a shame I don't think Noel Gallagher's music is up to much either.

Even Liam Gallagher has grown on me in recent years. I didn't think much to him as a person in the 90s but these days I find his bluntness quite refreshing and often funny.

What's wrong with the music then?

Well in 1993 when I would have called myself a rock and metal fan the progression of my music tastes were getting into music that was heavier. When the dynamic amongst my peers shifted from American rock bands to British indie bands my issue was it was going in the wrong direction because the music was softer. That's what ultimately led me to getting into rave music instead.

That said, there were plenty of Britpop songs that I liked, just not Oasis ones.

The bigger problem I have with their music other than it being too soft is that it's too slow. The one thing that's drawn me towards music more than anything is beats. In the mid-90s I was listening to happy hardcore, a genre many said got too fast but I always saw that aspect as a good thing.

I'm not saying all slow music is bad, I have plenty of chill out music in my collection. Oasis aren't a chill out band though. Their music is made to be played out loud and for crowds of people to sing along to at the top of their voice. In that sort of situation I'd want music that's quick.

Don't get me wrong, I've been out and about and joined in a sing song of "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back In Anger" and that's fine for the 4 minutes or so the songs last for. 2 hours of that sort of thing would drive me up the wall though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment