On this blog I've given a lot of opinions to the extent you may have a good idea what I make think about some of the music I'm yet to comment on.
What you won't know from reading this blog alone are my political views. Why would you? this is a blog about music and the party I plan to vote for at the next election bears no relevance.
The big story in the music world at the moment is that rapper Macklemore has given a political speech whilst supporting Ed Sheeran in concert which has caused a stir. He's been removed from the Ed Sheeran tour as a result and now every support act has pulled out of the tour in support of Macklemore. Meanwhile Ed Sheeran has lost a fraction of his Instagram followers.
Musicians like the rest of us have their own political views, some are quite vocal about them whilst others stay quiet. At the end of the day though they're musicians not political commentators.
It could be argued that the rave scene was political but the message here was quite clear. It was people from all walks of life uniting against the government because they wanted a party. Nobody was saying which way to vote, or which side to take in a war between 2 foreign countries.
These days though some of the DJs from back in the day are doing just that. Look at some of their social media pages and you'll find very little about music and a lot of airing their political views. Then there's the bickering between DJs at different ends of the political spectrum.
Peace, love and unity sounds great in theory but at the end of the day we all have different views and opinions political or otherwise. The reality is that when you gather thousands of people together at a music event the only thing that unites everybody there is the music.
That's the power of music, it alone unites people. Start preaching things that have nothing to do with music and you will inevitably divide them.
At the end of the day I go to a music event for the music. I've been at gigs where between the music the act I'm seeing gives a view or opinion and whether I agree or not I think just shut up and get on with the music.
No comments:
Post a Comment