In September 1953 the UK Singles Chart wasn't even a year old when Frankie Laine clocked up his 18th week at number one with "I Believe". It was knocked off the top spot twice along the way so whilst it's longest stint of 9 consecutive weeks was a joint record with first number one "Here In My Heart" by Al Martino that would get broken, his 18 collective weeks at number one did not get broken until now.
The current number one has now been there for a total of 18 non-consecutive weeks. This is arguably as significant as when Bryan Adams set a record of 16 consecutive weeks at number 1 in 1991.
You had to be living under a rock in 1991 to not know about Bryan Adams record breaking stint at number 1. This time though many of you will be thinking what it the song at number 1?
The song in question is "Rein Me In" by Sam Fender and Olivia Dean. That song probably rings no bells and you're now thinking who's Sam Fender? and who's Olivia Dean?
Well Sam Fender made a name for himself when he finished runner up for England in the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest with "Spaceman". Olivia Dean is one of the latest in a long line of Disney child actresses who made the transition to pop music, a sort of Britney Spears for the 2020s.
Oh hang on I was thinking of Sam Ryder and Olivia Rodrigo. OK I don't really know who Sam Ryder and Olivia Dean are either. Nor have I ever knowingly heard their song that's been top of the charts for 18 weeks.
The fact of the matter is had I not started this blog which in turn made me feel the need to keep a vague eye on the Top 40 then I probably wouldn't know what's at number 1 myself.
My interest in the charts stems from a childhood of watching Top of the Pops and listening to the Top 40 countdown. It stepped up a gear when I got my first British Hit Singles book and to this very day I still find the history of the charts fascinating.
These days all that interests me are the chart stats, the days of me being interested in the actually music in the current charts are long gone. Many other 40 somethings feel the same except they were never interested in the chart stats, just the music. Therefore the charts are irrelevant to them.
The youngsters I speak to these days don't even know there's such a thing as the charts. They may listen to what's in the charts without knowing it.
Are the charts relevant to anyone these days but a small niche of music nerds? Probably not.
What remains is the question of whether Sam Ryder and Olivia Rodrigo can go on to beat Frankie Laines record......
No comments:
Post a Comment